Monday, February 24, 2014

Central Park Marathon

I ran in the NYCRuns Central Park Marathon yesterday.
I did pretty horrendous. 

Well maybe not that horrendous because it could have gone a lot worse in retrospect.

I could have very easily said "screw this" and stopped and just went home but I didn't. I sucked it up and finished and got my medal.


I'm not even going to tell you my time.

I tried going slower the first half of the race, since my speed is what killed me during the Yonkers Marathon. Yet I still found myself having to eventually stop to take walking breaks. I felt my lower legs cramp up early, around mile 11 which is very unusual for me. I'm suspecting the combination of having to go all the way into the city the day before to pick up my bib (and thus mom and I spent half of the day walking around in the city) and the temperature prior to the race starting had something to do with this cramping. The 10-15 minutes before the race started I could feel the parts of my body I wanted to stay the most loose start to tighten from being cold; my lower back and shoulder regions. I guess I did not even notice my calves doing the same thing since they are usually not an issue for me. Also, my runner's knee(s) were acting up way more than I've experienced in a long time. I don't know what that's about. I'll investigate.


I decided a few things:

1. I am not going to sign up for any more races in the first quarter/third of the year (unless it's Disney)
2. I am not signing up for any more races that are in their infancy (unless it's Disney)
3. I am not signing up for any more races that have a looping course.

Even though I am embarrassed with my time and performance and disappointed in myself, after I get over that I look at the good things I took away from this experience.

I'm feeling better and better physically after each race. It didn't feel like my legs were going to give out on me (Yonkers) or like I was going to pass out and/or throw up (Disney...but not marathon related). This was my first race that I did not have a spectator or was running with friends or family so I even managed to make it all the way back home from Manhattan all by myself with very little on me.

I am recovering faster too! The day after I'm no where near as sore as I was after Yonkers.

And I have a plan for how to train for future marathons. Before I even crossed the finish line for Yonkers I was modifying my training for this upcoming spring/summer. Less than 2 weeks until day lights savings AKA training season and I am ready to get back out there and kick some asphalt!

I bought my first Alex and Ani bracelets back during Christmas time and there is a reason why one I picked was the Champion one.

Resilience | Willpower | Achievement

I posses all of these and I am a champion.


I won't let this little bump in the road deter me from doing something I love. If anything, it makes me more motivated to get out there and work hard to be the best I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment