Sunday, September 29, 2013

The day I became a Marathoner

Today was a day that I have been waiting for for 3 years.


Today, after years of waiting and thousands of miles ran I finally became a marathoner.


In preparation for Disney my cousins Kristen, Craig and myself ran in the 2013 Yonkers Marathon and Half Marathon. Kris and Craig ran the half while I ran the full. This was my first time competing in a larger race both in terms of runners and production. It is a big change from the race I'm used to, and I loved it. I also LOVED having someone to go with and hang out with while waiting around for the race to begin.

NYCRuns was in charge of putting on this race along with a bunch of others in the NYC and surrounding areas. They did a great job, from the spread of food they had, the volunteers staffed at each water stop, the photography on course, having your name announced as you cross the finish line, and the post race party and discounts available at the area restaurants it was an all around fabulous race day.


Gimme dat medal
Kristen and Craig thought they were going to take about 3 hours to complete the half. Craig ended up finishing in 2:07:41 and Kristen finished in 2:02:04. Those are great times for a first half! I am so proud of them! See, you guys didn't need THREE hours!

I finished my 1st full marathon (26.2 miles) in 4:00:12. Not too shabby for my first one and on a tough course. I didn't think the course was that bad to be honest. I ran the first half way too fast though which had an impact on my second half. I was hurting. I ended up having to take multiple breaks to walk some, but when I started back up, I was running at what felt like my normal pace. And I ran the last mile at my usual pace. I did not hit a mental wall at all even with all that was going on in my lower body region so that was definitely a positive thing. I almost don't even remember what I was thinking about for 4 hours.

I made some mistakes during this race that I will have to work on for future fulls and especially Disney. I can't wait to run more.

Getting ready for Disney!


After I finished I spotted one runner laying on the ground eating a bagel. 
That's what I wanted to be doing at that moment.


Thank you NYCRuns and Yonkers, for a fabulous race! I will definitely be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment